Activate Registration

Race Permits


Why does a race need a permit?

The race permit demonstrates to competitors and insurers that the race is promoted to governing body standards and that UKA Rules for Competition apply.

From where can the UK Athletics Rules for Competition be obtained?

The latest rule book may be downloaded from the UK Athletics website

Under what authority does the TRA issue race permits?

The TRA is an associate member of UK Athletics.  Under UK Athletics Rules the managment of Trail Running is delegated to the TRA.  Applications for a permit for Trail Races in England should be made to the TRA.  For Trail Races on Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales application should be made to the appropriate National Association.

What is the additional unattached entry fee?

Under UK Athletics Rules (Rule 3) any Competition Provider granted a Trail Running Licence by UKA must impose, in addition to the basic entry fee, an additional fee of £2 (to be known as the ‘Additional Unattached Entry Fee’) on every entrant in a Senior Open Trail Running race who is not a member of a Club affiliated to a National Association or is not a registered member of the TRA.  Note that, unlike for road races, the additional unattached fee should not be imposed for entrants who are members of affiliated clubs but do not hold a competion licence from their National Association.

Is a race with a TRA permit automatically insured under the UK Athletics insurance cover?

No.  Being awarded a permit does not mean that UKA public liability insurance will apply.  Insurance cover only applies when the organising body is affiliated to one of the four National Associations and a permit (or licence) has been awarded.

Where can details of UK Athletics insurance cover be found?

Insurance details are given in the Governance section of the UK Athletics website (  PDF copies of documents and certificates are available for download. 

How can an organising body affiliate to England Athletics?

For details see the Club Affiliation page of the England Athletics website.  Any organised body which provides athletics activity may affilaite to England Athletics, including voluntary clubs, commercial businesses, leisure centres, charities or a groups running with paid leaders from sports retailers.

What is the difference between trail races and multi-terrain races?

Endurance disciplines, including road running, fell and hill, cross-country and mountain running are defined in UK Athletics Rules for Competiton. 

Multi Terrain, although not a discipline recognised within UKA Rules for Competition, is closely aligned to Road Running. Multi Terrain races are defined as those up to and including marathon distance which do not meet the full definition of Road Races within the rules, but are run over at least 40% tarmac, concrete or paved roads.

Trail races are races that are predominantly along:

footpaths, bridleways and towpaths over which there is a public right of way.
private paths with the consent of the owner or occupier as appropriate.
trails across land and coastal margins where relevant legislation grants the right of public access on foot. (Such legislation includes the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000, and the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003)

Trail race routes may include connecting stretches of public road and/or private or public land without a path when the owner’s permission has been obtained, if required for legal access.
Courses of up to marathon distance, i.e. 42.2km, which are less than 60% trail are not to be classified as Trail Races.

What reporting needs to be submitted after the race has taken place?

On the evening of an event, the TRA permit system sends an email requesting a report is submitted, and containing a link to the Race Report Form.  This asks for the total numbers of men and women runners, the numbers of unattached men and women runners, whether the race is expected to be held next year, and for a URL where the results can be found, if available.  The form also tells race organsers to report any accidents or dangerous incidents connected with the event following the UK Athletics guidelines and using the UKA on-line reporting system.  A link to the UKA system is included on the form.

What payments are required to be made?

Permits are issued free of charge. When the permit report has been submitted, the TRA permit system emails a payment request for £1 per unattattched runner.  It is a condition of the permit that payment is made within 30 days of the event.  However, if payment is made within 15 days of the event, the fee due is reduced by 50%, that is to 50p per unattached runner.